Blue parking badges allow cars carrying people who are registered blind or who have severe walking difficulties to park near shops, stations and other facilities.
Blue badges are free for a range of eligible people including those:
- In receipt of the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance or
- Receive a score of 8 points or more of the ‘Moving Around’ activity of the Personal Independence Payment or
- Registered blind (severely sight impaired) or
- Receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS) or
- Awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 f the Armed Forces compensation Scheme and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes
- Inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking or
- Have permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking or
- Drive a vehicle regularly, has a severe disability both arms and is unable to operate, or has considerable difficulty in operating all or some types of parking meter.
Blue Badges for organisations may be issued to an organisation for use in a motor vehicle used solely for the purpose of transporting disabled people who would themselves by eligible for a badge. An organisation is defined as meaning an organisation concerned with the care of disabled persons to which a disabled person's badge may be issued.
Apply online for a Blue Badge or by contacting the Customer Service Centre on 0845 053 0049.