Welcome to your Lancashire

Useful Links

Continuing healthcare

Main Details

National Health Service (NHS) Continuing Healthcare is a package of services which is arranged and funded by the NHS for people outside hospital with ongoing health needs. You can get continuing healthcare in any setting, including your own home or in a care home. NHS continuing healthcare is free.

Where a person's needs are primarily health related, the NHS is responsible for supporting them. The NHS (usually a district nurse) and our social worker will jointly assess your needs and work with you to agree how your needs can best be met.

Any individual, family member, carer or service provider can request an assessment for National Health Service continuing healthcare which will be conducted by the multidisciplinary team involved with your care. The first contact should be with your GP, district nurse, care manager or ward manager. They will discuss the eligibility criteria with you. If, following this discussion your needs fit the criteria they will contact the continuing care lead in your Primary Care Trust (PCT).

For more information, visit the Department of Health website.

© 2014, Lancashire County CouncilPhone: 0300 123 6701 email: enquiries@lancashire.gov.uk