Text | Home | Your Council | Business | Residents | Visitors |

News

Musical Youth Hit London

Back

News: Musical Youth Hit London

Thursday, 24th June 2004
(PR 1430)

Lancashire's young musicians are celebrating after being invited to play in a national festival.

Lancashire Schools' Brass Band will perform in this year's National Festival of Music for Youth at the Royal Festival Hall in London on July 8.

The prestigious performance will be the first time the 44 young musicians have played at a national event.

The brass band is one of 10 ensembles run by Lancashire County Council's Music Service to provide young musicians with their first experience of playing in front of large audiences.

The trip to London will be an extra special event as it coincides with the band's 21st anniversary.

Brothers Sam and Nathan Wood, who are pupils at Saints John Fisher and Thomas More RC High School in Colne, are looking forward to their national debut performance.

Nathan, aged 12, would like to be a musician when he leaves school and plays the cornet in the band.

He said:

"I'm excited about going to London, but a bit nervous.

"I'm trying to persuade more of my friends at school to play an instrument. I like playing slow pieces and jazzy songs."

Sam, aged 14, who started playing the trombone at primary school, said:

"It's a big event, but we can rely on each other if we get nervous.

"The trombone is hard work to play, but it's unusual and I enjoy it."

Another musical set of siblings who will be taking part are Sally, Myles and Jonathan Cook, from Great Knowley in Chorley.

Cornet player Sally, aged 11, is a pupil at St Lawrence's Primary School and 13-year-old Myles and Jonathan, aged 15, are pupils at Parklands High School.

Jonathan will be playing the euphonium in London, but is also a drummer.

He said:

"I'd like to be a professional musician when I leave school.

"I struggled to play the euphonium at first when it was actually bigger than me, but I'm used to it now and am looking forward to playing in London."

Myles, who will be playing a solo piece on the flugelhorn, said:

"I've never performed in front of so many people before and I'll feel nervous when I'm standing up to play, but it will be an experience."

Sarah Kane, aged 15, plays the trombone and is a pupil at Corpus Christi RC High School in Preston.

Sarah, from Fulwood, said:

"I can't wait to go to London. When I joined the band five years ago I wanted to play the trumpet, but the teacher thought I looked like a trombone player! Even though it's a difficult instrument, I love it now."

Lancashire County Council's Cabinet Member for Education, CC Alan Whittaker, enjoyed a pre-London performance from the young musicians.

He said:

"Lancashire Music Service provides an excellent opportunity for young people to gain an interest in music. The Schools' Brass Band has deservedly won a place in the national festival and I'm delighted for them, their parents and tutors."

For media enquiries only please contact: Jane Bullock on 01772 533521